Thanksgiving has always featured my favorite holiday foods – from cheesy vegetable casseroles to sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, biscuits and peanut butter pie.
So, when I decided for my own health that I wanted to eat more plant-forward back in 2017, I began to create different versions of my mom’s homemade cooking…
Including her Holiday Sausage Stuffing!
What I love about this recipe is that it only takes 10-15 minutes of hands-on prep with minimal ingredients. The only meat-based ingredient you’ll need to swap out is the pork sausage…
I used a mild Italian ground vegan sausage – the Pure Farmland brand – which I am pleasantly surprised to find that the texture and taste are right on point with animal-based Italian sausage.
In addition to the sausage, you’ll only need 6 more ingredients.
I hope you can enjoy this plant-forward deliciousness at your next family gathering and use it for years to come!
Get my version of my Mom’s Holiday Stuffing below!
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 10 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 1 pound ground vegan sausage (I used mild Italian)
- 2 tbsp. plant-based butter (softened)
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning or more to taste
- 1-1.5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1/8 tsp. each sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add a dash of broth, the onions and celery. Sauté until onions are translucent. Then add the sausage. Continue to cook until the sausage is heated through and browned.
- In a large mixing bowl add the bread, butter, seasonings and veggie-sausage mixture. Then add the broth – 1⁄4 cup at a time – until the stuffing is moist but not overly soggy. Use a potato masher or your hands to combine the ingredients to make the stuffing. If you add too much broth, you may need to balance it out by adding more slices of bread. Add more seasoning to taste.
- Once the stuffing is well combined, transfer it to a 9” loaf pan or glass dish. Use a spoon or spatula to compact it and make a flat top. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 40-50 minutes until heated through and slightly crispy around the edges. Remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. Enjoy!
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of Mom’s Homemade Stuffing is approximately:
- 1.25 Meat/Dairy Alternatives (protein)
- 1/2 serving Healthy Fats
- 1 serving Grains
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of Mom’s Homemade Stuffing is approximately 228 calories. Nutritional information is a rough estimate.