Tuna salad was a staple in my diet prior to my decision to eat primarily plant-based. I began to use vegan mayo to recreate the salad but realized replacing one processed food for another didn’t do my any good. Then I began to experiment with chickpeas, relish and mustard and the Chickpea Salad was born!
The best part of making this Chickpea Salad recipe is that it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and you can serve it right away. I personally like to chill it ahead of time, but I’ll leave that up to you.
A bonus of making this recipe is that you probably already own the 6 ingredients you’ll need to prepare it including chickpeas, yellow mustard, sweet relish, celery, red onion, white pepper and a pinch of sea salt – that’s it!
In the picture below, I served the Chickpea Salad on toasted cracked wheat sour dough bread for lunch. You could also serve it on top of a salad, eat it in a tortilla wrap or flatbread, or even serve on crackers for a healthy snack. Get the recipe below!
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 15.5 oz. can chickpeas (drained, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels)
- 3 tbsp. sweet relish
- 1 1/2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1/4 medium red onion (diced)
- 1 1/2 ribs celery (diced)
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Use a fork or potato masher to smash most of the chickpeas. Chill for 15 minutes. Serve on sandwich bread, crackers, wraps, lettuce cups or serve over a green salad. Enjoy!
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of Chickpea Salad is approximately:
- 1/4 serving Vegetables
- 1 servings Protein (Meat/Dairy Alternatives)
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of Chickpea Salad is approximately 109 calories.