Yellow Chickpea Curry over Farro
A creamy coconut-based yellow curry with carrots, red bell pepper, bok choy and chickpeas served over grains of farro.
This plant-based curry bursts with flavor! The vegetables are sautéed then simmered with curry paste and full-fat coconut milk, soy sauce and a little organic coconut sugar for a rich and mild dish. Plus, chickpeas make an appearance in this dish to provide a plant-protein source.
Typically, I would opt for rice with any curry dish. But I had farro on-hand and thought the texture of this nutrient-packed grain would be a nice change.
And it was most certainly the change I needed from rice! If you’ve never had farro then you don’t know what you’re missing…
Farro is an ancient grain that’s a bit thicker than rice grains and has a nutty and chewy texture. I personally think it’s more filling than rice – that could be because it packs 7 grams of fiber and protein per 1/4 cup dry serving.
I also like that farro is versatile. You can add it to salads, soups, risottos, stews and sautés. The last recipe I made with it was my Greek Goddess Salad.
Get the vegan Yellow Chickpea Curry over Farro recipe below…
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1/2 cup dry farro
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 bunches baby bok choy
- 2 large carrots
- 15 oz. cans garbanzo beans; chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. yellow curry paste
- 14 oz. can full fat coconut milk
- 4 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. organic cane sugar
- 1 lime
- Add the farro to a medium saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water until it’s about an inch over the farro. Add a dash of salt. Bring the farro to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until the farro is tender. Drain any water that remains.
- Chop the red bell pepper in 1-inch pieces, the bok choy into 2-inch chunks, and peel and slice the carrots.
- Add the oil to a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper, bok choy, carrots and a pinch of salt to the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the vegetables become slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the can of chickpeas, then add them to the skillet of vegetables.
- Stir the yellow curry paste into the vegetables and cook for about 1-minute until fragrant.
- Then add the coconut milk, soy sauce, sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix well and bring the curry to a simmer. Simmer for 10-minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the lime in half. When the curry is done, remove it from the heat. Juice half the lime into the curry and stir well.
- Serve the curry over farro and garnish with wedges of lime. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe, then I know you’ll like this Creamy Lemon Rice & Chickpea Soup!
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of Yellow Chickpea Curry over Farro is approximately:
- 1 serving Vegetables
- 1 serving Grains
- 2.5 servings Healthy Fats
- 1 serving Protein (meat & dairy alternative)
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of Yellow Chickpea Curry over Farro is approximately 442 calories. Nutritional information is a rough estimate.
Sign up for your FREE Mini-Meal Plan!