Pulled Jackfruit BBQ
Cookouts are my favorite for food and family, and what’s a cookout without barbecue? As I transitioned to plant-based eating, I had to find creative ways to make my favorite unhealthy foods healthy – including BBQ pulled pork.
So when I discovered jackfruit, I was amazed at just how much it has the texture of pulled pork and took on the flavor of barbecue. I even served it at my house warming party and meat-lovin’ friends and family had no idea it wasn’t pork!
Jackfruit is such a versatile fruit that I’ve used it as a crab meat and chicken substitute. To cook with jackfruit, I like to use young jackfruit canned in brine. You can also get it fresh and frozen, but I have found that it’s often overripe in these forms and therefore has an acidic taste like an overripe pineapple.
More and more grocery stores are carrying canned jackfruit, but if you’re having trouble finding it, you can always head to your local Asian market or order it from Amazon.
I paired my vegan, 4-ingredient Pulled Jackfruit BBQ with a vinegar-based Summer Slaw for a delicious, filling and healthy sandwich perfect for a cookout.
Get the recipe below!
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 20oz. cans young green jackfruit in brine (drained)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 cups BBQ Sauce (vegan)
- Summer Slaw (optional topping)
- Whole Wheat Sandwich Roll (optional)
- Prepare the jackfruit: Pull apart the stringy pieces of jackfruit and set them aside. All parts of the jackfruit are edible but I like to discard the arils/seeds.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the oil and the onions. Sauté the onions until translucent – about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit shreds to the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Then stir in the BBQ sauce. Continue to cook until the sauce is heated through.*
- Optional for Serving: Place the Pulled Jackfruit BBQ on a sandwich roll and top with summer slaw if desired.
*The jackfruit mixture tastes best when it’s had a chance to marinate in the BBQ sauce.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know how you like it in the comments!
Try one of the latest Strong.Bold.Healthy refreshing recipes: Greek Goddess Bowl!
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of the Pulled Jackfruit BBQ is approximately:
- 1/8 Vegetable serving
- 1/2 Fruit serving
- 2 Grain servings
- 1/8 Healthy Fat serving
Nutritional Note: One serving is approximately 215 calories. Calorie information includes the Jackfruit, Oil, Onion and BBQ Sauce (the recipe makes 6 servings total).
Sign up for your FREE Mini-Meal Plan!