Mac ‘N’ Cheese Broccoli Casserole
Vegan Mac n cheese has never tasted soooooo good! Plus, my plant-based Mac ‘N’ Cheese Broccoli Casserole recipe is a hit with teens…
You’re probably wondering how I know this vegan recipe is a hit with teens. Let me tell you: I recently had the opportunity to lead a cooking class for teens of the Hemophilia Association of the Capital Area and the feedback I received for this dish was fantastic!
That’s why I am sharing it with you… This two cheese mac n cheese includes a blend of vegan cheddar and parmesan cheeses. And you know I can never not include a vegetable which is why you can find tender broccoli florets throughout this casserole.
After you’ve made the broccoli mac n cheese, the meal is essentially done. However, I really wanted a crispy topping, so I topped it with a golden crust of Panko breadcrumbs and baked it to a crispy perfection.
Get this delicious vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese Broccoli Casserole recipe below!
Ingredients (6-9 servings)
- 10 oz. dry whole wheat large pasta shells (about 3 1/4 cups)
- 2 heads broccoli (chopped into florets)
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp. vegan butter (melted)
- 4 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 cups original and unsweetened plant milk (Oat or Pea milk work best)
- 2 1/3 cups vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/3 cups vegan shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 1/3 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. onions powder
- 3/4 tsp. ground mustard powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot according to its package directions. When the pasta is tender, remove it from the stove and use a strainer to drain the water. Keep the pasta in the strainer for now and set aside.
- Use a fork to combine the melted butter and Panko breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Add the broccoli florets to a microwaveable bowl. Add 1 tbsp. water, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Use a fork or knife to poke holes in the plastic wrap. Microwave for about 5-6 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- When the broccoli is done cooking, drain any excess water in the bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot (you can use the same pot you used to cook the pasta) over medium heat, add 4 tablespoons of butter.
- When the butter melts, slowly whisk in the flour to create a roux (a thick paste). Then whisk in 1 cup of milk until the chunks of roux begin to dissolve. Add the remaining milk and bring to a simmer for about 8 minutes. The sauce will thicken as it cooks; when the sauce coats the back of a spoon and you can draw a line in it with your finger, you can move onto the next step.
- Stir the seasonings, salt, pepper and cheeses into the sauce. Continue to stir until the cheese melts and becomes super creamy.
- Add the cooked broccoli and cooked pasta and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Then remove from stove.
- Carefully pour the mac n cheese mixture into an 8″ x 11″ oven-safe casserole dish. Then evenly sprinkle the topping over the mac n cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and the topping becomes golden. To get the topping even crispier, turn the oven to broil and bake for an additional 2 minutes (watch this closely so it doesn’t burn).
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Try one of my other favorite pasta dishes: Spinach Pesto Pasta.
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one of six servings of the Mac ‘N’ Cheese Broccoli Casserole is approximately:
- 2 1/4 servings Grains
- 1/2 serving Protein (Meat/Dairy Alternatives)
- 1 serving Vegetables
- 3 1/4 servings Healthy Fats
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, one of six servings of the Mac ‘N’ Cheese Broccoli Casserole is approximately 647 calories.
Sign up for your FREE Mini-Meal Plan!