Easy Holiday “Sausage” Dressing
The holidays feature my favorite foods and there was no way I was going another year without my beloved Thanksgiving dressing.
For this year, I wanted to make a vegan replica of my mom’s homemade dressing…
And oh my gosh… it tastes so good and takes only 10-15 minutes of hands-on prep and cooking. This plant-based Easy Holiday “Sausage” Dressing is a side dish you won’t want to miss out on at your next family gathering.
There are plenty of vegan meats on the market nowadays, and I chose to use a mild Italian ground “sausage” for this particular recipe.
Different stores offer different brands, but I happened to buy this “sausage” from Sprouts.
I used the brand Pure Farmland for the first time and was pleasantly surprised to find the texture and taste to be right on point with that of a typical, non-vegan ground Italian sausage.
Add 100% whole wheat bread, dairy free butter, seasoning, onions and celery and you’ve got yourself a delish holiday side dish!
Get the recipe below…
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 10 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 1 pound ground vegan sausage (I used mild Italian)
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter (softened)
- 2 tsp. poultry seasoning or more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1-1.5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add a dash of broth, the onions and celery. Sauté until onions are translucent. Then add the sausage. Continue to cook until the sausage is heated through and browned.
- In a large mixing bowl add the bread, butter, seasonings and veggie-sausage mixture. Then add the broth – 1⁄4 cup at a time – until the dressing is moist but not overly soggy. Use a potato masher or your hands to combine the ingredients to make dressing. If you add too much broth, you may need to balance it out by adding more slices of bread. Add more seasoning to taste.
- Once the dressing is well combined, transfer it to a 9” loaf pan or glass dish. Use a spoon or spatula to compact it and make a flat top. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 40-50 minutes until heated through and slightly crispy around the edges. Remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking. Enjoy!
Did you make this holiday recipe? Let me know in the comments.
Get another Strong.Bold.Healthy holiday recipe here: Leek & Shiitake Roast
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of Easy Holiday “Sausage” Dressing is approximately:
- 1.25 Meat/Dairy Alternatives (protein)
- 1/2 serving Healthy Fats
- 1 serving Grains
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of Easy Holiday “Sausage” Dressing is approximately 228 calories. Nutritional information is a rough estimate.
Sign up for your FREE Mini-Meal Plan!