20-Minute Meal: Broccoli Cheese Soup
A rich and creamy bowl of comfort that can be made in 20 minutes.
This vegan, 5-ingredient broccoli soup is dairy-free and perfect to serve as an appetizer or even meal.
If you’ve ever cooked with vegan cheese then you know they’re not all created equal. Flavors will differ as well as consistency when it comes to melting.
To make this Creamy Broccoli Soup, you can use whatever vegan cheese you’d like but I have found that Good Planet Foods Cheddar and American cheeses work best. Not only do they have impeccable flavor, but they also melt into a nice creamy consistency.
I made two versions of the soup; one cheddar and one American. While I really enjoyed the flavors of both, they were best when I combined them! Feel free to make your soup how you’d like.
Get the recipe below…
Ingredients (3 servings)
- 7 oz. American or Cheddar vegan cheese (about 10 slices)
- 2 cups extra creamy original oat milk
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2-3 tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1-2 broccoli crowns (remove stems, cut into florets)
- Add the broccoli florets to a vegetable steamer. Steam for 12-15 minutes until broccoli has reached desired tenderness.*
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter. When it melts, whisk in the flour 1 tablespoon at a time to make a roux.
- Stir in 1 cup milk with 2 slices of cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Then stir in 3 more slices of cheese until they melt. Repeat this process until all of the milk and cheese has been added to the soup and no chunks of cheese remain.
- Add the steamed broccoli to the soup. Serve warm. Enjoy!
*Use 2 heads broccoli for a thicker, chunkier soup.
**If you don’t have a vegetable steamer, microwave the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 1 tbsp. of water. Covered the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for about 4-6 minutes until desired tenderness is reached.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know in the comments.
If you love meals with a creamy sauce, then you’ve got to try this 30-minute plant-based ‘Meatball’ Stroganoff!
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of Creamy Broccoli Soup is approximately:
- 2.5 Meat/Dairy Alternatives (protein)
- 1 serving Healthy Fats
- 1/2 serving Vegetables
- 1/4 serving Grains
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of Creamy Broccoli Soup is approximately 373 calories. Nutritional information is a rough estimate.
Sign up for your FREE Mini-Meal Plan!