It’s that time of year again! Don’t you just love fall?
The leaves are changing colors and it’s just chilly enough to wrap up in a blanket and enjoy a warm bowl of soup, which is what inspired this next recipe…
Autumn Squash Soup.
Butternut squash is blended with sweet carrots and caramelized onions to bring lots of flavor and depth to this fall favorite, while the cinnamon and nutmeg will warm your soul. You’ve got to give it a try!
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 3 pounds butternut squash (diced)
- 5 large carrots (peeled & diced)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 large yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tsp. vegetarian chicken base (Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt & ground pepper
- 1 cup pea milk (Ripple\’s Unsweetened Original)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Combine the squash and carrots with oil and spread over a non-stick baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile. add the butter to a large pot over medium heat. Bring the butter to a simmer, then add the onions and garlic. Lower the heat and cook until the onions are translucent and slightly browned.
- Add the roasted squash and carrots to the pot with the onions and garlic. Then pour in the vegetable broth and bring the soup to a simmer. Stir in the Vegetarian Chicken Base, followed by the sprigs of thyme and the bay leaf. Cook for 10-minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until creamy. Then transfer the soup back to the pot over low heat.
- Flavor with salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then pour in 1/4 cup of pea milk at a time until the soup has reached a desired consistency. Serve hot and enjoy!
Have leftover butternut squash? Try this Butternut Squash & Mushroom Orecchiette!
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of the Autumn Squash Soup is approximately:
- 1/2 serving of Meat & Dairy Alternatives
- 1/2 serving of Grains
- 4 servings of Vegetables
- 1 serving of Healthy Fats
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of the Autumn Squash Soup is approximately 366 calories. Nutritional information is a rough estimate.