Creamy. Italian. Vegan. What’s not to love about this Asparagus & Mushroom Risotto?
During my honeymoon to Italy, I took a cooking class to make a version of this…
And to be completely honest, I think mine tastes way better!
Checkout the recipe below…
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 8oz. pack sliced mushrooms
- 12 stalks asparagus (ends removed, chopped)
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 1 cup rice (I used Basmati, but arborio rice is typically used)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vegan butter
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened pea milk
- 3 tsp. Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp. cashew parmesan
- Dried Parsley (optional)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, add the butter. Let it melt and add the shallots. Sauté until golden brown – about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and 1 cup of broth. Bring the broth to a light simmer. Stir the rice every 30 seconds so it doesn’t stick. Continue to stir until the broth is absorbed. Repeat this process with the remaining cups of broth.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan over medium heat, add the oil. Add the asparagus and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 4-5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until the veggies are tender. Set aside.
- When all the vegetable broth has been absorbed by the rice, stir in a half cup of milk. Continue stirring until the milk is absorbed, then repeat this process with the remaining half cup. Then stir in the vegetarian “No Chicken Base” if desired.
- Add the sautéed veggies and cashew parmesan to the risotto. Garnish with parsley and pepper to serve.
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of the Asparagus & Mushroom Risotto is approximately:
- 1/4 serving of Meat & Dairy Alternatives
- 2.5 serving of Grains
- 1/2 servings of Vegetables
- 1 serving of Healthy Fats
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of the Asparagus & Mushroom Risotto is approximately 329 calories. Nutritional information is a rough estimate.