Remember those tasty Ramen Noodle Soup packs and microwavable bowls that cost nearly nothing and you could cook within minutes? Those were a staple in a my childhood and let me tell you – I loved them.
But let’s be honest – the small trace of vegetables in them barely counted as a serving, the sodium content would make anyone puff up and they were calorically dense but not nutritionally dense. Overall, they are horrible for your health.
So when the temperature dropped to a very cold 25°F the other day, I instantly wanted a hot and healthy bowl of soup, which is how my Vegetable Ramen Noodle Soup came to be! Check out the recipe below…
Ingredients (makes 5 servings)
- 5 large carrots (peeled and diced)
- 4 celery stalks (diced)
- 2 small yellow onions (diced)
- 10 oz. bag frozen peas
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 10-11 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 tsp. (or more) Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
- 8 oz. Chinese Noodles (Ramen)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 Tsp. parsley flakes
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add 2 cups broth. Bring to a simmer and stir in the No Chicken Base until it dissolves. Then add the carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper, parsley and garlic. Cook for 8-10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Then add 2 more cups of broth, the peas and corn. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the remaining broth and bring the soup to a boil. Meanwhile, break the ramen apart with your hands while still in its package. Add the broken noodles to the soup when it comes to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the soup to a simmer and stir the noodles so they don’t stick together. Then remove the pot from the stove and let sit for about 3 minutes until noodles are tender. Serve hot and add pepper to taste.
If you are following the SBH Plant-Based 21-day Meal Plan, one serving of the Vegetable Ramen Noodle Soup is approximately:
- 2.5 servings Grains
- 2 servings Veggies
Note: Strong.Bold.Healthy does not promote calorie counting. However, being that some may use calorie counting as a tool to help maintain a healthy weight, 1 serving of the Vegetable Ramen Noodle Soup is approximately 355 calories. Nutritional information is a rough estimate.